RFR: 8060132: Handlers configured on abstract nodes in logging.properties are not always properly closed
Daniel Fuchs
2014-10-10 14:51:20 UTC

Please find below a possible fix for:

8060132: Handlers configured on abstract nodes in logging.properties are
not always properly closed

webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dfuchs/webrev_8060132/webrev.00/

Other options have been discussed in this other email thread:

Subject: JDK-6774110 lock file is not deleted when child logger is used
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2014-October/029038.html

best regards,

-- daniel
Stanimir Simeonoff
2014-10-10 15:10:11 UTC
persistentLoggers should be cleared on reset(), imo.

Also using "count" and then "for in" to loop over an array looks a bit
ugly, should be just "for (int i=0; i<names.length; i++){ final String
className = names[i];..}
Calling the class name 'word' is weird as well. (I do understand that's not
new but it's a good time to get it straight).

Cheers
Stanimir

Stanimir Simeonoff
2014-10-10 15:12:07 UTC
Please disregard the remark about "count", as any exception would make the
use of the index variable incorrect.

Stanimir

Daniel Fuchs
2014-10-10 15:39:55 UTC
On 10/10/14 17:10, Stanimir Simeonoff wrote:
> persistentLoggers should be cleared on reset(), imo.

Yes - I was wondering about that too, it's a bit tricky to
get it right (WRT MT-safety) :-(.

> Also using "count" and then "for in" to loop over an array looks a bit
> ugly, should be just "for (int i=0; i<names.length; i++){ final String
> className = names[i];..}

I wanted to add the logger only if at least one handler was
successfully created and added, so 'count' is not necessarily
equals to 'i'.

> Calling the class name 'word' is weird as well. (I do understand that's
> not new but it's a good time to get it straight).

Agreed.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dfuchs/webrev_8060132/webrev.01

best regards, and thanks for all the valuable inputs & comment from
you and Jason - I really appreciate it :-)

-- daniel

Jason Mehrens
2014-10-10 17:52:43 UTC
Daniel,

Looks good. As always, thanks for fixing this.

Jason